Friday, 31 May 2013

An Ill Wind

It was windy... very windy... and rainy most of the day today, so we were going for two indoor attractions. The morning was good, but the afternoon was a disaster.

Despite the gales and downpours, we had a nice visit at the Daly house museum. It was the home of Brandon's first mayor, Thomas Daly II, and has been done up with all period furnishings and appointments, many from the original home.




After lunch, we headed to Souris, about a half hour away, to see Canada's longest swinging bridge, and another museum, a castle-like structure built in 1904. And Souris is where the wheels fell off.

When I asked directions to the bridge, the City Hall lady looked blankly at me and said "It's down". "Down where?" I asked. Turns out they cut it down during the flood of 2011 for fear that the surging river would tear out its moorings and the wall that protected the town. Then it turned out that the museum wasn't open until July. But I have pictures of the attractions that weren't... here's what the bridge (or its present state of reconstruction) looks like now...


...and here's the outside of the museum that we would have toured...


But we had two more disappointments yet. Barb tried to get some money from a Credit Union, but they claimed that they didn't recognize her card and directed her to a Royal Bank ATM (Hm... whatever happened to "ding free"?).


And then when I tried to find a cache outside the castle on a display train, I came up empty. It didn't help that I couldn't tell which end was the back (where the magnetic key holder was supposed to be). I searched both ends anyway in the (by now) drizzle, but no go... small consolation that several logs commented on the difficulty of the hide.


...so we came away from Souris with me cacheless and Barb cashless. Oh well, we treated ourselves to apple cinnamon tea and a treat at the local tea house so the afternoon wasn't a complete write off.

Tomorrow we're off to Moosejaw and the weather report is looking much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment